Friday, July 31, 2009

Manchester Awe-chestra

First things first: Manchester Orchestra are not from Manchester and are not an Orchestra.
But, man, can they play some tunes!
I blogged about one of their songs recently, but got to see them in the flesh playing many more songs at the HiFi Bar on Monday night. Now, I don't know if this is because I was standing directly under the speakers and about 5 feet from the guitarist, or because I'm just getting super-old (when my Dad was my current age, I was frickin' 12 years old already - get yer calculators out...or your ya-yas...) - but that was possibly the loudest gig I have ever been to. And I'm including in this Metallica, Ministry, Soundgarden, Strangelove, et cetera, et cetera.
Actually, Ministry were pretty bloody loud, too, come to think of it.
But this was bone-jarring stuff.
And fantastic. They made my head go forwards then backwards then forwards again. Repeat.
I agree with what this dwarf had to say about the night in almost every respect.
Get on it, already!
Oh yeah, and Chris Freeman is a psychopath (though he's now shaved his head and bangs his head and plays double drums more than on that youtube video - still, watch from 1:37).

No comments:

Post a Comment