Thursday, October 21, 2010

JET f**ked!

Witty title, I know.
Went to see the Great Powderfinger in the mud and the wet in Ballarat on the weekend, for what was meant to be the last gig in their "Sunsets" tour (it's now been much extended to finish sometime in 2017. Incidentally, I've been travelling for work and have been in the same city as them 3 or 4 times so far (in, like, Perth and Canberra, of all places), but instead of taking those many opportunities, I instead drove out to Ballarat to see them in the wet and the mud).
Nonetheless, very enjoyable, and v good to see them going out on what appeared to be a high.
They were supported by Paul Dempsey, who was also good, and...JET. Who were...JET.
Allow me to rewind a few years to Powderinger's "Across the Great Divide" Tour, which we saw in Bendigo ("Bendigoin'off!"), when I was a little non-plussed about seeing Powderfinger's support act - Silverchair. But I was very and pleasantly surprised - Silverchair are a great live band and Daniel Johns is of course a genius.
Now, fast forward a few years to this "Sunsets" tour, and I was again non-plussed about seeing Powderfinger's support act - this time: JET. But I was very and unpleasantly shocked into utterly hating this band within approximately two songs. Wow. They suck to the max. I know people seem to like them, but those people don't understand that they have no idea. They've been sucked (there's that word again - coincidence? I don't think so) into the complete vacuosity of this derivative band who don't appear to have a single original idea - including their faux-rock-star "attitude". I was quite astounded. And then, so that I didn't completely waste my time while they were playing, I went through my phone and deleted old text messages.
Burn.

But when Powderfinger came on, all was forgiven. Those guys rock out with their bits and pieces out. And they played both Capoicity and personal fave Thrilloilogy. Plus stuff from Double Allergic (and Ian played a small glimpse of the riff from "Tail" from Parables for Wooden Ears).
Not "My Kind of Scene", but overall, pretty frickin' sweet.
Well worth the mud and the waste of time before they came on.
Vale, 'Finger Dudes.

PS I want to reiterate that Paul Demspey was also great. I was just very surprised to discover how much I hated JET.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reminded of a band more tedious and full of self-importance than JET lately: U2. Man, they suck.

    ReplyDelete