Friday, September 11, 2009

Pick on someone your own spellingz

Oh. My. God.
I have a confession to make. A horrible, gut-wrenching confession. And even though this post is in support of something, meaning it should technically be an ‘anti-rant’, I’m putting it firmly in the ‘rant’ category.
A rant at myself.
Because, today, I agreed with Miranda Devine.

I feel terrible, but she MADE SENSE.
Not the whole time, but at least for a bit...and I agreed with her.
How can this be?!?!
She wrote a piece about Friend of the Show Steve Fielding, and the ridicule he’s been receiving about his inability to pronounce or spell words properly. Ordinarily, that’s hilarious. I agree with Larissa Ham and John Richard's posse when it comes to being a spelling and grammar snob.
Plus, he’s in the legislative game, he should be able to read and write.
But he’s admitted that he’s grown up with a learning disability – possibly dyslexia – and been ridiculed all his life about it. That’s way harsh. He’s clearly not dumb – and even if he was, the voters (and ALP powerbrokers, who ensured he got their preferences over the Greens) put him in office. There’s nothing in the constitution about dumb people not being able to serve (let alone about dumb people not being able to vote - a topic for another rant, methinks).
But that’s beside the point. He’s not dumb – he’s admitted he has a learning disability, and possibly so does his son. So, if that's true, LEAVE HIM ALONE. To use a well-worn footy analogy: play the ball, not the man.
He’s a Climate Change Denier. THAT’S why he’s a clown – no need to get into his personal and family life.
Some civility please, people.
Don’t make me agree with Miranda Devine again.
PS Speaking of footy: Go Saints (registered for my GF ticket OH YEAH!).

No comments:

Post a Comment