Thursday, April 10, 2008

Men behaving moronically

What the hell? I just today, in The Age, read about something that happened on The Footy Show last Thursday: TV show segment demeans women.

Now, I don't watch
The Footy Show, because I like watching footballers play football, not former footballers (and someone who used to be on Hey, Hey It’s Saturday) playing dress-ups, admiring themselves in the mirror, laughing at each others' inane "jokes", or (I imagine) just drooling and staring vacantly. But I find it hard to believe that this story hasn't made bigger headlines. Respect to Caroline Wilson and her sisters in footy (including The Angels of my beloved Saints). We don't all think like that, m'ladies.

But, clearly, the sooner Sam Newman is off our television screens (collectively, I mean - he's already off mine), the better. Not just for women, but also for discerning viewers of entertainment via the loungeroom televisual device.

Perhaps it will be dealt with at the 2020 summit...

Whilst on the topic of ex-footballers demeaning women, and also getting their ugly mugs on the tellie, Wayne Carey was obviously doing what his publicist (perhaps Charles Prentiss from Prentiss McCabe?) had told him to do by going on Enough Rope last week, too, but he wasn't fooling anybody. Especially not me...since I didn't watch it (refer above for my philosophy on watching footballers). However, if you want a more informed dissection of the show, check out
Marieke Hardy's* rundown from the Green Guide: The whole truth and nothing but...

Now he just needs to go into rehab for a bit, and all will be forgiven by The Footy Show-watching-public.

Nonetheless, go Saints.

* In fact, for a refreshingly open rundown of, well, most things, check out her blog at http://www.reasonsyouwillhateme.com/. (Don't worry - I'm not outing her. Andrew Bolt already did that. What a guy.)

1 comment:

  1. The first comment on this blog! And I've been able to make it myself! Oh, the glory!
    Anyhoo, this is just a quick: What'd I tell ya? Since I posted this article, there's been a storm of interest over Sam Newman's "hilarious" degradation, and now Nine has (virtually) given him the boot: see "Newman dragged off air by Nine" at http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/
    btvb-footy-shows-newman-dragged-off-
    air-by-nine/2008/05/29/1211654133227.html.
    Be interesting to see if The Footy Show's ratings go up tonight (but still wouldn't be interesting to see The Footy Show...)

    ReplyDelete