Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why not 20 teams?

OK. So the AFL have officially snubbed Tassie, despite its awesome map, telling them they won't get their own licence for a footy team: Tassie out but not dead.
Now, I don't profess to know anything about anything - that's why I have a blog, not a newspaper - but two areas of Australia crucial to the past and present success of the AFL are currently missing out - Tasmania and the Northern Territory. I realise these areas may not have big populations (and therefore won't be as lucrative), but that shouldn't be everything (plus, see my future blog about my future plans for the North...)

We all know that His Royal Worshipfulness, Andrew Demetriou, won't budge from his plan to launch teams in Western Sydney and the Gold Coast, but instead of saying "either/or", why not go all out and add 4 teams instead of 2?
Plus, 18 is a weird number: 20 is divisible by 4 (and 5. And 10. And 20. Not 9, but who wants to be divisible by 9?) - surely that's important.

Of course, my preferred plan, with a nod in the direction of Monty, the legendary World War II Allied Commander, would be to outflank Western Sydney and the Gold Coast by launching Tasmania and Northern Territory first. The Australian Football League would then have teams in all 6 States and one Territory. That seems pretty 'Australian' to me.
And Western Sydney and the Gold Coast would then have no choice but to jump on board.
It would be un-Australian not to.

PS I should mention that I'm a Saints supporter, and won't be switching, and hope that any suggestions that the Mighty Saints should move to Tassie would be arrogantly dismissed with a snooty wave (despite our proud association with the Apple Isle - "He's Darrel BALDOCK!!"). But I still think the fine people of Tassie deserve their own team.

No comments:

Post a Comment