Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rally to Restore Virginiaty

We're baaack!
Actually, we've been back for a week, but I've been tired and sick and also my record for punctual posting is pretty pathetic. Pwnage (I've wanted to use that expression for a while).
Nonetheless, it was great trip. It was, in fact, the biggest television experience of our lives, magically achieved without watching a single pixel of television.
But first: The Rally! The entire reason for our trip was to go to the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear in Washington DC.
When it was first announced by Jon (and then Stephen), I originally thought "I wish I lived in America, because that would be great to go to." By the next night, I had seriously started thinking about flying over (but shook my head, slapped my own face (Jane's Addiction-style) and said "pull yourself together, rilestar!") By the third night, I had checked my work schedule (I could fit in a week's holiday), checked with the wife (she wouldn't mind a quick trip to the States and back), and the parents and parents-in-law (who confirmed they could look after the kids or at least periodically re-fill their food bowls). A week later, we booked our tickets, and then on Friday 29 October, we flew to LA on a big Qantas A380 (more on that later) and walked into our hotel room in DC 26 hours later (but still on the 29th of October, thanks to the miracles of Science!)
We had no idea how big (or small) the Rally would be, but the lady I was sitting next to on the plane from LA to DC was also going, as well as another couple nearby who overheard us talking about it, which made 5 people per 4 square metres in that piece of real estate alone. Then everyone except for two people on the shuttle bus from Washington Dulles Airport (technically in Virginia - hence the witty title to this post) had flown in just for the rally, and when we went out in Georgetown that night (still not having slept a wink since leaving Melbourne), the first guy we sat down next to in our first of many bars was also going to the rally. Back in the hotel, a couple we chatted to in the elevator were also going.
So, based on our market research, it was going to be Big, and we would need to get there early.
We got up late.
We also then struggled to get on a train - the first two that came by were completely chockas - they couldn't spare a square! Finally, when the third one came by, we begged and pleaded with the squashed commuters to let us on - "We flew all the way from Australia for this!!!" I recall someone crying hysterically - and a kind and generous and large and bearded man in the doorway wearing a T-shirt saying "Han Shot First" allowed us to squeeze on, despite the protestations of a skinny and unkind and bearded woman about 10 metres away from the doorway.
That said, we were luckier than the many people living in surrounding States (like Maryland, Delaware and VIRGINIA), who were similarly unable to get on trains and who didn't have the option of walking like we were about to ... or a large Star Wars fan called Bill who would allow them on to His train).
So we arrived at the Mall a little late. And the closest we were able to get to the stage (at least until the Rally finished) was just over 7th Street (and the stage was around about 3rd St).
But it was still gooooood.
As I will allow my video to demonstrate:


This is also my pretty shaky report for Boxcutters, recorded not with a camcorder, as one would expect, but with my eeepc laptop's webcam. Enjoy the choice I made:


(If anyone wants me to film and edit your wedding or bar mitzvah, let me know. I'M AVAILABLE).
And since the signs were such a big part of the day (I really regret not getting my ar$e into gear and printing up our Oz-centric signs "I am Australia - and so can you!" and "Dropbears are REAL, people!") this is a link to a hundred of the best: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity
This has all probably been a lot to take in, and since we left DC (and Virginia) the day after the Rally for New York (New York), I think I'll finish off my stuff about our magical TV adventure in another post.

But it does involve more Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, in case you're wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment